Kids in Out of Home Care

National Clinical Assessment Framework for children and Young people in out-of-home-care (OOHC)

The overarching goal of the Framework is to improve responses to health needs of children and young people in OOHC and ultimately their health outcomes. Three objectives of the framework are:
Improve the consistency of health care assessments and services for children and young people in OOHC provided by States and Territories. Provide advice about the role of clinicians and appropriate assessment tools. Guide jurisdictions to develop appropriate policies and to assist health professionals to make clinical decisions in order to detect problems early, when they are most amenable to interventions.


Vic State government Child Protection Manual: Best interests case practice model

The Child Protection Manual is the primary point of reference for child protection practitioners and managers employed by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services regarding statutory child protection policy, procedures and supporting advice. It also contains protocols, practice resources and tools, and links to materials external to the manual that are relevant to child protection practice.
This section of the guide outlines developmental trends & possible indicators of trauma and provides recommendations for interventions 


Life after school guide: Centre for excellence Child and Family welfare

This resource aims to assist anyone who works with and supports care experienced young people in their post-school journey. It will connect you with the best information for supporting young people to make informed choices about their future when it comes to further study, training or employment.


Leaving Care- Transition Planning for kids in Out-of-home-care

Leaving Care has a range of services and supports to assist young people aged 16 to 21 years of age to transition from care to adulthood.


Support services for young people moving to independent living

This website lists the National Support services for young people moving into independent living


Information for Young People leaving Out-of-Home Care

Transitioning to independent living can be a positive time in your life as well as presenting some challenges. With this in mind, we have designed this information to help step you through the process of applying for the TILA payment, regardless if you remain living with your carer or you move out to your own place.

You will need a caseworker to help you apply for TILA. If you don’t have one, you can contact your local state or territory government department for child protection and they will assist you in this process.

Your caseworker will:

  • work with you on either a new or updating a leaving care plan and agree on what the payment will be used for and when.
  • apply for TILA on your behalf and manage the payment for you.
  • purchase the items or services you both agree on.

The TILA – Guide for Young People provides step by step instructions to help you apply for TILA, and the What is TILA used for factsheet lists the different items and services TILA can be used for.

There is also a range of support services available to help you find a place to live, get a job or find you training, get financial advice, counselling or emotional and other supports. You can also contact your local state or territory office to see what supports they have available.

Contact DSS at if you have any questions regarding TILA.